January 14, 2009

Lame Fri, Sat. and Sun Night Movies

And Step Show! Just keep reading.
Please note
: This Entry Gives Info You Can Use ANYWHERE, Not Just in Fabulous Denton.

Sure, you think you’re all that with plans for Friday night, and places to be Saturday night, and maybe an early dinner out on Sunday. Well sometimes I am too. And sometimes my significantly charming other works nights. (Yep. Working nights is the pits. Working 3 nights a week? Not so bad.) And, when I am solo, I admit, I’m likely to ride the couch and channel-surf Lifetime, ION, TNT, USA, AMC, BRAVO, SciFi (ooooh, come oooon Eureka! marathon!), or now, with Charter Cable (that's the 'Denton connection' - that and 'my couch') cramming free movie channels down my throat, HBO, SHO, or MAX. Bastards.

In fact, a summer-time double feature on Lifetime - Beauty Shop AND True Confessions of a Hollywood Starlet, starring Valerie Bertinelli, inspired this post.
Sure, make fun, but she was a teen star, married Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen people! and has a son to show for it), and is still working! How many women can say that?

The week after that? – Confessions of a Go Go Girl. Seriously.

Now I KNOW you’re thinking, “Dentonista! What’s a woman like you, with all the local savvy, doing on the couch?!”

Sometimes a girl just wants to stay in, mix her own martinis and give herself a facial – maybe a deep hair conditioning too.
(As my mother used to say, “Do I know how to live or what?” Sadly, she didn’t warn me about drunken dialing, texting, or posting… But that’s another entry.)

And I’ll tell you, as energetic and outgoing as I am when I travel (I mean, I have been known to eat dinner and go-to-the-movies-by-myself!), I can be just that inversely sluggish and hermit-y at home.
Why not? My home IS lovely and comfy.
But still…
I know. I KNOW my dears, and I WILL try to be less of a slug.

What else have I seen, while beautifying in front of the TV? Well, you DO gather this is the time to catch up on movies you would never spend money to see, right? In fact, you might not want to be seen seeing?
OK.
That said, I was happily surprised by:

White Chicks – I KNOW! But remember, these are dirty little secrets I’m sharing with you. Don’t judge! The ‘dance off’ scene made me laugh out loud. For like 5 minutes! (Go on, click the link. You'll laugh too.)

I mentioned Beauty Shop – I admit it, I’m always rooting for Queen Latifah. I’d love to get a drink or dinner with her. (Hey – Parliament Funkadelic’s on the sound track! You can’t go wrong there.) And Alicia Silverstone. OK – I always root for her too.

And because I always root for Queen L - Last Holiday.

Stomp the Yard – Come on! A movie dedicated to step show? How're you gonna pass that up? And you know what? This was a good thing. It made me wonder what happened to the enormous convocation for step show, which was held annually at North Texas. I only got to see it once (roommate was a Zeta), but it was very well known.

So, to the Internet!

A few minutes later, I now know that the ladies of Delta Sigma Theta, Zeta Eta chapter at UNT have been hostessing the longest running step show in the Southwest! And, it is now called Greek Explosion.

As I mentioned, I haven’t been in YONKS, and I think I’d like to go again. I sent an e-mail to DST and asked for a specific date, but got no response. Later however, I found out "The Zeta Eta Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. will host its 38th Annual Greek Explosion at 6 p.m. on March 1st in the Coliseum at the University of North Texas." $15 admission and part of that goes to charity. Seriously, this sounds like a night you don't want to miss.
Anyone interested in going with me?

Lastly, because your FND loves you, she will remind you to beware the drunken dial or drunken e-mail folks! Your friends know you love them; your secret crushes don’t need to! And never, EVER e-mail work from the couch.

That’s all for now, my dears.

No comments: